Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I have seen the future....

.... and it is spelled: C-o-n-t-a-d-o-r! Alberto Contador from the Discovery team finally gave me one of those "jump off the couch, fist pumping, yelling" fits after he won the 14th stage of the tour in epic fashion. Dueling it out with Rasmussen throughout the last climb... be bolted around at the line to win in an Armstrongesque move. It was great to see. At the time, it was (for me) good to see Vinocourov get toasted. How any American can not pull at least for an American team rider is beyond me. That would be like pulling for a European team over the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl. Sure I respect many of the European riders.... I was a big Jan Ulrich fan... but I'd never pull for him over Lance or any other American cyclist or even a European rider on an American team. Call me an old fashioned patriot if you like. I'm cool with that. Turning your back on Discovery may be the trendy thing, or the "alt bike culture" poser thing to do... but I'm gonna pull for the Discovery team until they fold or until another American team forms that I like better. Don't tread on me!

Well, well, well. "Vino" got busted. Failed a drug test and now the whole Astana team is out. If I was Kloden I'd be whipping his ass as we speak. What a selfish bastard. Now Kloden is out when he had a legitimate chance of at least a podium spot. The only upside to this is we won't have to see Mr. cocky "Vino" for a while.



Saturday is Hurt, Pain, and Agony. Everyone keeps asking if I'm ready. You're never ready for that. The first 6 miles is a cat. 2 climb. It's tough because you're not even warmed up yet! You're climbing while still burning sugar and carbs. The switch to oxygen hasn't occurred yet. Makes the climb really hard. Then, at mike 50, there is another long hateful climb that ends with an 18% gradient! Brutal. It's still not as bad as Bridge to Bridge. But it's rough. Thank God I still have some training time for that. Then, one those two big rides are done... it's time to really focus on the run and swim.

Hey Jon! Look below at the last post and read about my donut!

No comments: