Sunday, July 15, 2007

80 Miles... heart rate, heart rate, heart rate!!! BPM... BPM... BPM... thump, thump, thump...


Did one of my yearly riding traditions today. Each year I ride from my front door to the end of US 64/NC 90 where it runs into hwy. 40 in Statesville. It's just a simple out & back... but it serves as a great gauge of my endurance. It's rolling terrain with a few long annoying climbs. The kind of climbs that are not terribly steep... but steep enough and long enough to take you out of your rhythm and cause some pain on the trip back. All in all we did 80.3 miles in a about 4 and a half hours. Jon Hogan went with me. His longest ride to date. He did great. My goal today was not to exceed 161BPM and my main goal was to end with an avg. BPM of 147 or under. I fell a bit short. My max HR was 176... but that was only for a very short period while pushing it up a climb. I noticed that most of the time my HR never exceeded 167-168. My avg. for the day was 148BPM... so my overall goal was within 1 BPM... not too bad. Next week it's back up 181. I'll now begin looking for hillier courses. My endurance is basically on track (as good as it's gonna get this year) so now I'll focus on climbing since my two big organized rides this year are practically nothing but suffering climbs. It's tough lugging my 185lbs. around so I better get climbing. last year the last 2.5 miles of the Bridge to Bridge about killed me. I hope to do better this year.

No comments: