Sunday, July 15, 2007

Do what they say, not what I do...

I finally had a good run on Thursday. I listened to all the run coaches that I've read and decided to run slower... and by using ONLY heart rate as my guide. I disregarded pace, speed, time... and just went on heart rate. For me, staying just below my lactate threshold is a heart rate just under 161bpm. This is the point for me that my body is still utilizing oxygen (aerobic) and fat as my primary fuel sources which allows me to build greater endurance. If I go over 161bpm, then my body crosses over its lactate threshold and my body can no longer keep up with the demand for oxygen, and I begin to "switch" and burn sugar and carbohydrate in the muscle for fuel which produces blood lactate (lactic acid) and a burning sensation begins along with labored breathing and fatigue. This can only go on so long before I fizzle out and have to slow dramatically or walk. This is no good. So, my goal is to remain under my lactate threshold during runs regardless of my speed/pace. Logically, as my endurance increases, my pace will also. Once my aerobic base is properly build, then I can work on speed.

I learned a lesson from cycling that applies to my running. I noticed that when I run, I will often push my pace on downhills. I guess I'm trying to make up some time. But when a subsequent rise in the road occurs, I struggle to maintain any kind of pace. Then I thought about how I conserve energy on the bike. If I'm on a hilly course, I will often coast and rest on a downhill to lower my heart rate and prepare for the next climb. This helps me balance my energy to be able to complete longer courses and be fresh at the end. So I began to use this philosophy on my runs. It worked! I relaxed and "coasted" on the downs which helped me big-time on the rises. I often remind myself of the turtle and the hare story. Slow and steady wins the race. Now, while I don't believe that slow and steady "wins" the race, I do believe slow and steady completes the race. For a guy like me who spent a lifetime building fast-twitch muscle and is lean at 185lbs. I'll never be one of those 140lb rolling toothpicks that fly up mountains like a bird. But slow and steady for me works to finish long rides with confidence. And the total sum of the parts equals decent times and less suffering. I'm actually hanging well now with some of the "A" riders. I'll take it. Now if I can just get to where I can hang with the "C" runners and swimmers!

Today is a 77-mile endurance ride. I'm going out with two other guys. Should be fun and a good test of where my fitness is right now. Peace!

No comments: